Hauptnavigation

Seiten Navigation

Textinhalt

Award winning movie: ZAGREB - Pulse of the city

Special 1-day and 7-day bus tours for participants are available HERE.

The Upper Town

The Upper Town, formerly called Gradec, has kept its old appearance to a great extent, and includes a number of Zagreb sites. It was fortified with walls and towers in the 13th century, and many legends are associated with it. Stone Gate, originating from 1266, is the only remaining out of four gates to Gradec. The great fire in 1731 burnt down surrounding houses but the painting of the Mother of God displayed at the Gate miraculously remained undamaged.  Grateful citizens built a chapel within the arch of the old Stone Gate that has since become Zagreb's biggest shrine and is regularly visited by people who come to light a candle and thank Virgin Mary for protecting them. MORE

Church of St. Mark

The colourful Church of St. Mark, one of Zagreb symbols, is located on the Upper Town main square. It was built in the 13th century. In the 14th century it got luxurious Gothic south portal and in the 19th century the roof covered with tiles assorted to represent emblems of Zagreb (white castle on red background) and Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia. In the first half of the 20th century the altar was decorated with works of world famous Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović. Next to the Church, the seat of the Croatian Parliament and the Croatian Government are located. MORE
 

Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Zagreb Cathedral is the most monumental and the most impressive Gothic-style sacral building southeast of the Alps and largest in Croatia. Its towers are reaching 108 meters.  Cathedral is first mentioned in 11th century; however, it was destroyed by the Tatar invasion. The current structure was built in the latter half of the 13th century, although many alterations and renovations have been made since that time, changing the structure almost completely. Due to Turkish threat in 15th century fortifications were built around the cathedral. MORE

 

.

Lotrscak tower, Gric cannon and Zagreb funicular

If in Zagreb you hear the blast of cannon fire, fear not, it simply means it’s midday.  Sited in the upper town, the tower originally was part of the city’s defences and today it contains a museum and a souvenir shop. According to one legend, a cannon shot from the Lotrščak tower soared over the river Sava and landed in the Turks’ encampment, right on a platter of chicken that was being carried to the Pasha for his lunch. The Pasha decided against attacking a city of fearsome sharpshooters so Zagreb escaped invasion. Since this ace shot was fired at noon, a cannon has been fired at that time from the same tower ever since. MORE


At the base of Lotršćak Tower there is a station of Zagreb funicular - the shortest cable car in the world, only 66 meters long.  It has been transporting the citizens of Zagreb between the Upper and Lower Town since 1890 and maintained its original look and construction until today. MORE


Tkalciceva Street

Tkalčićeva Street developed between the two oldest Zagreb neighbourhoods, Kaptol and Gradec, at the place of the former stream surrounded by mills and arched by bridges, the most famous one being the legendary Bloody Bridge. It has been the home of craftsmen and merchants for centuries, and today it is a picturesque promenade most famous for art galleries, pleasant coffee shops and festivals that have transformed it into one of the most popular places for going out. Tkalčićeva is where you want to be for nightlife in Zagreb - a place where the sounds of music mix with laughter and cheering around tables. MORE


Dolac marketplace

Just a few meters off the main Ban Josip Jelačić Square there are stairs leading to Dolac - the biggest and most popular marketplace in Zagreb. Opened in 1930, it provides groceries to citizens ever since. If you need fruit or vegetables, meat or fish or if you just want to experience vivide and colourful rush, Dolac is a great place. MORE

 

 

 

 

.

Mestrovic Atelier

Ivan Meštrović (1883 – 1962) was a world-renowned Croatian sculptor and architect. His sculptures, which depict biblical, mythological, political and everyday themes, are everywhere in Zagreb (and Croatia) - in the streets, squares and museums. He was the first living person to have a one man show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  Meštrović Atelier, the authentic settings of what used to be the artist’s home and atelier, houses Ivan Meštrović’s works: marble, stone, wood, and bronze sculptures, reliefs, drawings, and graphics.  MORE

 

.

Museum of Naive Art

Naive art first appeared in Croatia at the beginning of the 1930s.  At first it was connected with the works of peasants and ordinary working men and women, with no formal art training. The most successful achieved their own creative style and a high level of art becoming professional artists.  Museum consists of 4 relatively small rooms which can be viewed in 30-60 minutes by "untrained" viewers, longer for those who know art, and is a must see! MORE


Museum of broken relationships

The Museum of Broken Relationships grew from a travelling exhibition revolving around the concept of failed relationships and their ruins. It offers a chance to overcome an emotional collapse through creation: by contributing to the Museum's collection. In 2011 the Museum won Kenneth Hudson Award for the most innovative museum in Europe. MORE

 

.

Museum of Contemporary Art

The Museum of Contemporary Art (Croatian: Muzej suvremene umjetnosti, often abbreviated to MSU) is a contemporary art museum located on Dubrovnik Avenue in Zagreb, Croatia. It is the biggest and most modern museum in the country. The museum houses a total of 12,000 objects (of which around 600 are on permanent display) and numerous works by contemporary Croatian artists, including Julije Knifer, Tošo Dabac, Ivan Kožarić, Vjenceslav Richter, Benko Horvat, Ivan Picelj, Miroslav Šutej, Tomislav Gotovac, Dalibor Martinis, Sanja Iveković; as well as international contemporary artists such as Getulio Alviani, Alberto Biasi, Max Bill, Piero Dorazio, Julio Le Parc, Richard Mortensen, Otto Piene, Jesus Raphael Soto, Victor Vasarely, Marina Abramović, Dorothy Cross, Katarzyna Kozyra, etc. The Test Site metal sculpture by Carsten Höller was installed in the entrance hall of the museum in time for the official opening, as were installations by Braco Dimitrijević and Mirosław Bałka in front of the building's south side entrance. MORE



Fusszeile
     Impressum     Privacy policy     Terms of use     Webmaster     Webmail     Copyright IAPO 2013-2015